20 June, 2007

Let's Talk About Music

Wow, I think I'm gonna remember this summer. I've been floored a couple of times lately with some of the new tunes out there. I feel like the world has suffered from a dearth of good old fashioned rock the last few years but that seems to have rectified itself this year somewhat. Let's just say that Ike is happy.



So, on to my recommendations.



#1 - The White Stripes: Icky Thump

These guys have slowly grown on me album by album. I've always enjoyed the idea behind their music (no fluff, no extras, just a dude, a chick everyone thinks is his sister {she's not, they're actually married, he took her last name} and some straight up rock). However, the first album didn't really hit home for me. The next couple started to inch their way into my playlist but now they have kicked down the door and announced their new gig as my house band.


I'm now on my third or fourth time through the album and I can't pick out a bad song. It's an incredibly eclectic grouping of songs and styles, even for a weird band like this. Everything from a celtic ditty, some country and good old rock. It makes my heart glad.

The title track is pretty durn good but check out "Prickly Thorn" and "Catch Hell Blues" too.

Also, I have to say, if I had to pick any rock star I would want to be I would have to say Meg White, just on the fact that I think it is somewhat attainable for someone with my talent. I mean, I could almost play the drum tracks to every song they have ever put out. Yet somehow the incredibly simple drums are extremely effective and she's married to one of the most talented musician in quite some time. I mean the dude produced an album for Loretta Lynn at her request. That's cred, I don't care who you are.


My second and final recommendation for the day is a single. And let me tell you I am giddy about this one. Ladies and gentlemen, at #2 I give you:





# 2 The Smashing Pumpkins: Tarantula (Zeitgeist)



Welcome back Billy!!!!! Oh how I have missed thee; and not just from the layoff between records, I've missed the Billy Corgan of Siamese Dream and and Gish. I may be overreacting to my joy at a great, straight forward, ass kicking offering from the guitar gods but this one may rank at the top of my Pumpkins play list. Great guitar licks, driving rythym and those creepy Billy Corgan eats small children vocals. Billy, after all these years you once again have my undivided attention. Please don't let me down again.


Well, that's it for now. Fell free to argue my points. That's the great thing about music. It can be so many different things to so many different people.





Oh yeah speaking of rock, for those of you that know The Todd, I found him on Wikipedia this week! He's listed as the drummer on the page for Big Fil. Yes, Big Fil has it's own Wikipedia page! It's one of the benefits of having the next Billy Graham as your lead singer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tarantula does rock. I will have to give White Stripes a second listen. I haven't liked much of what I have heard but I haven't given them much of a chance since the first album. But I loved the Loretta Lynn project as well as Jack White's stuff on Cold Mountain. Lately I have been hooked on the new Modest Mouse cd. Amazing stuff.