16 June, 2007

Restless Musings

I'm picking my way through Donald Miller's
"Through Painted Deserts" (Thank you Chris and Rie). It's really hitting home in a way I had not anticipated. I've really been struggling lately with a restlessness about life in general. Moving into this house has stirred something deep inside, something that has tired of the repetetive day to day grind of work, eat, sleep, repeat. There is something more out there for my beautiful wife and I. Something more than 20 minute commutes and reruns on the boob tube. Just the simple act of moving into a new home with the accompanying chores and responsibilities has brought this into sharp focus. We've been in a rut lately; no we've been in a rut our whole lives. How many of us just cruise through the week waiting for the weekend, only to waste it in front of an electronic box that provides meaningless, fleeting entertainment. How much more is out there?

I've lived my entire life between imaginary boarders, the Mississippi river to the west, the Carolinas to the east. Only twice in my entire life have I ventured outside the boarders (and actually, the trip to Jamaica fell inside them, just further south). I want to see more. I want to know more of God's creation. I want to meet new people, seek out new civilizations, boldly go where.............sorry, I got carried away, but I think you get my point.

So hopefully I'll have the nuts to act on these urges. The first step was getting into this house, experiencing the joy and responsibility that comes with the house, the yard etc (hooray for lawn mowers!). Next stop, who knows?!? It's kind of exciting, this venture towards the unknown. Maybe someday I'll get as far west as Iowa!!

(P.S. - Dougie, I'm going to climb a mountain with you buddy. If I have to inch my homebodied, midwestern ass to Colorado, I will climb a mountain with you. I swear this on the name of my father Domingo Montoya......er......Dennis Wade.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dwight,
Thanks for sharing a bit about what is stirring in your soul. I have not read Deserts yet but I would love to. I read Blue Like Jazz (I know me and everyone else) and I really loved it. So much so that I bought a copy for all the kids I knew who were graduating high school this year.

I hope that Erin and I can be home owners some day. Sometimes it is hard not to be jelous of others who are at that stage. My brother and Mandy just bought a great house too.

But I think I know what you mean about things deep inside being stirred up. Erin and I have our first baby on the way and it is almost a surreal experience. I mean we are bringing a life into this world. That is wild. And we are quite excited about my entering seminary in the fall. But with all of this going on it has awakened something in me and I want to do even more. I want to go places I've never been and I also want to change where I am: improve myself and change the world I live in.

Anyway, sorry to go on so long. Blessings my friend to you, Jenny and your new home.

~Wayne

DougieB said...

Well dwighty, we'll be heading up the Ironclads for some climbing this weekend, leaving tomorrow morning. You in?

In all truth, though, if we can get you out here we're put you up a hill for sure. Just ask my mom, she'll tell you of the torture she endured over that last week of her time here!